T
NFL
Rugby

Wales Sports Minister Presses WRU Over Fan Disconnect

Brooke Taylor
Brooke Taylor
Rugby Correspondent
11:49 AM
RUGBY
Wales Sports Minister Presses WRU Over Fan Disconnect
Wales sports minister Heledd Fychan has urged the Welsh Rugby Union to engage more closely with supporters and communities over its plan to reduce the country to three professional men's teams. The proposal leaves either Scarlets or Ospreys facing the loss of a licence by 2028.

Wales sports minister Heledd Fychan has met Welsh Rugby Union leaders and raised supporters' concerns about a growing disconnect between the governing body and rugby communities, BBC Sport reported on Wednesday. The talks come as the WRU advances a plan to reduce the number of professional men's teams in Wales from four to three by 2028.

Watch the highlights:

Fychan, who is also the Senedd's chief whip and cabinet minister for culture and sport, said she met the WRU last week to discuss the professional game's future. She stressed that the union is an independent organisation and that the Welsh government has no direct role in its decisions, but said clubs, communities and the sport's long-term health must be fully considered. WRU chief executive Abi Tierney attended the meeting, according to BBC Sport.

The proposed restructuring would grant licences to WRU-owned Cardiff and privately backed Dragons while leaving Scarlets and Ospreys competing for one western licence. That means either the Llanelli-based Scarlets or Swansea-based Ospreys would lose its place in the professional structure. WRU officials have said work on the decision framework will begin in December and conclude before the end of the 2026-27 season.

Fychan told the BBC's Walescast podcast that she had received extensive correspondence from supporters of both threatened clubs. She said the meeting allowed her to emphasize the need for proper community engagement and to raise concerns about the potential economic consequences if either club closes. The Welsh government has not endorsed or rejected the three-team model because the WRU is a private company.

The minister's intervention follows repeated political criticism during 2026. In January, the Welsh Affairs Select Committee warned the WRU that reducing the number of professional teams risked alienating supporters. In March, members of the Senedd's sport and culture committee urged the governing body to consider another approach, with committee chair Delyth Jewell warning about the condition of the game and its connection to Welsh communities.

The WRU said in a statement released Saturday that it sees no realistic prospect of Welsh rugby generating enough revenue to support four professional teams beyond 2028. Scarlets managing director Jon Daniels has ruled out a merger with Ospreys and called for greater transparency, while Ospreys have maintained that a four-team structure remains the right course. Fychan said the Welsh government would remain engaged and support rugby at every level as the process continues.

Share this article

Comments

0

No comments yet

Be the first to share your thoughts!