Manchester United Submit Opening Bid for Brighton Midfielder Carlos Baleba
Manchester United have submitted an opening offer for Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba as the club continues to reshape Michael Carrick's squad. BBC Sport reports that the proposal is worth £60 million plus a further £5 million in potential additions, but says it will not be enough to secure an agreement at this stage. Talks between the clubs are continuing.
Watch the highlights:
Baleba has made 112 appearances for Brighton since arriving from Lille for £23.2 million in August 2023. United also explored a move for him last year before stepping back when they learned that Brighton's asking price would exceed £100 million, according to the BBC. The current negotiations have revived that interest, although no completed deal has been announced.
The Cameroon midfielder is currently recovering from an ankle injury suffered during preseason. BBC Sport reports that he is expected to remain unavailable for another couple of weeks. If a transfer is completed, his ability to cover ground quickly would offer Carrick a different midfield option once he is fit.
United have already signed Andrey Santos from Chelsea and Youri Tielemans from Aston Villa this summer. Their arrivals followed Casemiro's departure when his contract expired on June 30, while Bruno Fernandes has moved into a more advanced role. Kobbie Mainoo remains among the club's established central midfield choices.
BBC Sport says United considered several players during their search for another midfielder, including Real Madrid's Aurelien Tchouameni, Bournemouth pair Alex Scott and Tyler Adams, Roma's Manu Kone and Fulham's Sander Berge. The club had publicly appeared to play down fresh interest in Baleba before making its opening proposal.
The pursuit is part of a wider recruitment programme at Old Trafford. Carrick said last week that United wanted and needed further additions, while BBC Sport reports that the club also regards a new left-back as an urgent requirement. For now, Baleba remains a Brighton player, and the size and structure of any revised United offer have not been confirmed.
Comments
0No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts!