Jaissle vows to embrace Newcastle rebuild without excuses
Matthias Jaissle has pledged to confront Newcastle United’s rebuilding challenge without excuses after taking charge only weeks before the Premier League season. BBC Sport reported that the 38-year-old German signed a four-year contract running until 2030, succeeding Eddie Howe after a summer in which several leading players left St James’ Park.
Watch the highlights:
Jaissle said his outlook was shaped by the knee injury that ended his playing career at 25. The former Hoffenheim defender had helped the club win promotion to the Bundesliga before the injury forced him to stop playing. He subsequently moved into coaching and managed Red Bull Salzburg and Al-Ahli before accepting the Newcastle position.
The scale of the transition is considerable. Howe stepped down after four and a half years, while Bruno Guimaraes, Sandro Tonali and Anthony Gordon departed the club. Alexander Isak had also pushed for a transfer to Liverpool less than a year earlier. Newcastle finished 12th in the Premier League last season after Howe had previously delivered the 2025 EFL Cup and multiple Champions League qualifications.
Newcastle have signed Lukas Hornicek, Ewen Jaouen, Amar Dedic, Sean Steur, Aladji Bamba and Bazoumana Toure. All six are 24 or younger, leaving Jaissle aware that they will need time to adjust to the Premier League. He nevertheless indicated that further squad changes are likely before the transfer window closes on 1 September.
Jaissle has also spoken with Howe since taking the role, though he kept the details of their conversation private. He expressed respect for his predecessor’s work and said the club’s leadership understands that a new team will require patience. That message sits alongside chief executive David Hopkinson’s stated ambition for Newcastle to compete for the biggest prizes by 2030.
The new coach intends to build an aggressive, front-footed team in a style he believes suits Newcastle’s identity. He cited the influence of Kevin Keegan and the attacking side known as the Entertainers as part of his research into the club. Newcastle will pay tribute to Keegan, who died in July aged 75, before facing another of his former clubs, Liverpool, on Sunday.
Comments
0No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts!