T
NFL
Top Stories

Infantino Faces Fresh Pressure During Dominican Republic Visit

Carlos Mendez
Carlos Mendez
Soccer Correspondent
1:49 PM
SOCCER
Infantino Faces Fresh Pressure During Dominican Republic Visit
FIFA president Gianni Infantino faced new questions over his leadership during a visit to the Dominican Republic, while Concacaf president Victor Montagliani asked him to reconsider attending a Caribbean youth tournament.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino faced renewed scrutiny during a visit to the Dominican Republic after declining to engage with questions about his leadership and an abandoned plan to bring private investment into FIFA tournaments. The Guardian, citing reporting by PA Media and Reuters, said Sky News correspondent James Matthews approached Infantino outside a hotel and asked whether he had betrayed football and why he had not resigned.

Watch the highlights:

Infantino did not address the substance of the questions. Instead, he commented on Matthews's haircut before entering a waiting vehicle and making another reference to seeing the reporter at the hairdressers. Matthews continued asking about calls from supporters and football associations for the FIFA president to leave his position, but received no direct response.

The exchange came amid a wider dispute over Infantino's position at the head of world football. According to the Guardian report, three continental confederations accused him of deception over the private-investment proposal, while UEFA has threatened to boycott FIFA competitions after losing confidence in his leadership. Infantino could potentially face a no-confidence vote from regional football bodies, although the report did not say that such a vote had been scheduled.

Concacaf president Victor Montagliani separately asked Infantino to reconsider attending the Caribbean Football Union's Under-14 Series in the Dominican Republic. In a Friday letter seen by Reuters, Montagliani referred to the governance crisis around FIFA and warned that the attention on Infantino would distract from the technical purpose of the youth competition. Montagliani is also a FIFA Council vice-president.

Infantino was in the country over the weekend and had reportedly planned to attend the CFU event. He was welcomed in Punta Cana by Dominican Republic sports minister Kelvin Cruz, who said the visit could raise the country's international football profile and create opportunities for the sport's growth. Reuters said it had contacted FIFA for comment on the situation.

The controversy arrives as Infantino seeks a fourth term that would extend his presidency until 2031. The Guardian reported that several national associations and senior officials have withdrawn support for the Swiss administrator. With regional leaders publicly challenging him and Concacaf asking him to stay away from a youth event, the Dominican Republic trip has become another focal point in the dispute over FIFA's governance and Infantino's future.

Share this article

Comments

0

No comments yet

Be the first to share your thoughts!