High Court Reinstates 530 Rugby Brain-Injury Claims After Legal Team Change
A High Court ruling has allowed 530 rugby brain-injury claims to continue after they were struck out because required neurological-testing records had not been disclosed. The Guardian reported that Senior Master Cook granted the affected players relief from sanction after a change in their legal representation, preserving their place in the wider litigation.
Watch the highlights:
What happened was a serious failure to comply with a court disclosure order. Cook found that 377 rugby union claimants and 153 rugby league claimants had not provided defendants with all necessary documents from their neurological testing. The governing bodies involved had asked the court for a ruling that would end those cases, but Cook ultimately permitted every affected claim to proceed.
The decision followed the claimants' move away from Rylands Garth and solicitor Richard Boardman, who had led their representation for five years. According to The Guardian, a claimants' committee voted unanimously on July 17 that the firm was not competent to continue handling the litigation. KP Law, a larger practice with experience managing group claims, has since taken over.
Former Wales international Alix Popham gave evidence for the claimants. He told the court that neither the committee nor the underlying claimants had been properly informed about deficiencies in their representation. Popham also said they had received repeated assurances about the case's progress and had only recently learned that the litigation was at risk of collapse.
Why it matters is that the reprieve restores an opportunity for hundreds of former players to have their claims considered rather than lost through procedural failures. Cook said the players themselves were blameless for the missing material, while strongly criticizing how their previous solicitor handled disclosure and repeatedly confirmed compliance without resolving gaps identified by the defendants.
The cases can advance to the next stage in November if KP Law supplies the outstanding records. At that point, the two sides are due to submit shortlists of possible lead claimants. World Rugby said it and the Rugby Football Union and Welsh Rugby Union welcomed the judgment and hoped the litigation would now proceed in line with the court's expectations and in the interests of the players and the sport.
Comments
0No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts!