Dalton Smith Sets First WBC Title Defence Against Alberto Puello in Sheffield
Dalton Smith will make the first defence of his WBC light-welterweight title against mandatory challenger Alberto Puello at Sheffield's Utilita Arena on October 24. BBC Sport reported that the unbeaten 29-year-old will return to his home city after winning the belt by stopping Subriel Matias in New York in January. Smith has won all 19 of his professional bouts, with 14 victories coming inside the distance.
Watch the highlights:
The contest was originally scheduled for June but was postponed after Smith suffered an injury in training. His rescheduled homecoming now places an experienced former champion between him and the larger events his team hopes to pursue. Smith told a Sheffield news conference that he would approach the assignment one fight at a time and would not look beyond Puello before the result was secured.
Puello, a 32-year-old Dominican, has held major titles in the division before. He reigned as WBA champion from 2022 to 2023 and became WBC champion in 2024. Matias took the WBC belt from him in July 2025, delivering the only defeat of Puello's 26-fight professional career. Puello said through a translator that he saw few weaknesses in Smith but intended to take the title in the champion's hometown.
The challenger therefore arrives with considerably more world-title experience than Smith, even though the British fighter brings an unbeaten record and local support into his first defence. Smith said fighting at home as world champion had supplied additional motivation. The two fighters exchanged confident assessments at a media-only event but ended the occasion by shaking hands.
A possible stadium fight at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough ground has emerged as Smith's longer-term ambition, but no such event has been confirmed. Smith described a Hillsborough appearance next year as the final reward he would like to reach, while emphasizing that Puello comes first. Matchroom chief executive Frank Smith also said the champion was not overlooking a serious opponent.
According to the Matchroom executive, successful completion of the mandatory defence could open routes to unification contests as well as the proposed Hillsborough night. For now, the only fixed assignment is the October 24 meeting at Utilita Arena. Its stakes are clear: Smith risks his newly won WBC championship for the first time, while Puello gets an opportunity to regain a belt he previously held and do so in front of the champion's home crowd.
Comments
0No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts!