T
NFL
Soccer

Crystal Palace Agree Axel Disasi Loan as Club Resists Adam Wharton Interest

James O'Connor
James O'Connor
Soccer Analyst
12:46 PM
SOCCER
Crystal Palace Agree Axel Disasi Loan as Club Resists Adam Wharton Interest
Crystal Palace have agreed to sign Chelsea defender Axel Disasi on loan while maintaining that midfielder Adam Wharton is not for sale. The moves form part of a busy final week of transfer-window planning at Selhurst Park.

Crystal Palace have agreed a deal to sign Chelsea centre-back Axel Disasi on loan, according to The Guardian, as the south London club also works to retain several important players before the transfer window closes. Disasi is expected to undergo a medical on Friday, but the move remains subject to that process being completed.

Watch the highlights:

The 28-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan at West Ham. Palace turned to him while looking for a replacement for Maxence Lacroix, whom they sold to Chelsea. The Guardian reported that Palace had also approached Chelsea about Josh Acheampong, but the Stamford Bridge club was unwilling to let the England Under-21 defender leave.

Palace's recruitment work is not expected to end with Disasi. The club also wants to add a midfielder and has shown interest in Auxerre's Kévin Danois and Monaco's Lamine Camara, according to the report. No agreement for either midfielder was reported.

At the same time, Palace have told Manchester City that Adam Wharton is not for sale after an inquiry about the England midfielder this week. Wharton, 22, has three years remaining on his contract at Selhurst Park. Palace would require a substantial fee even to consider a sale, while Liverpool and Chelsea have also shown interest in him previously.

Manager Pierre Sage said Palace need Wharton and wants him to remain for another season. The club is taking a similarly firm position on Ismaïla Sarr after rejecting a Galatasaray bid reported at about £26 million. Galatasaray could make another offer, and Fenerbahce may provide competition, but Sage said the forward remains important and available for Palace's Premier League opener against Everton on Saturday.

The outlook is less certain for Daniel Muñoz. The Colombia defender has two years left on his contract and is valued at about £25 million, The Guardian reported. Everton, Nottingham Forest and Tottenham have recently been linked with him. Palace added Anan Khalaili last week, while Óscar Mingueza and Zavier Gozo can also operate at right wing-back, giving the club options if Muñoz leaves.

Share this article

Comments

0

No comments yet

Be the first to share your thoughts!